Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Time to Make the Donuts.....again

Did you ever feel like you do the same thing everyday?  I think that I am stuck in a rut.  A great big muddy rut in which there is no escape.  I do the same thing everyday with little to no variation. I get up at the same time every morning, I shower, I start prodding kids out of their respective beds, I make my coffee, grab lunch boxes, load us all in the car, close the garage door, get to the stop sign at the end of the street, wonder if I closed the garage door, ask the kids if they saw me close said garage door, drive to two different schools and drop off kids, get on the freeway, drive for 25 minutes, go into my office, log on to my computer, eat my breakfast at my desk and then I have a fun filled day at work.  Nine hours later I shut down my computer, pack my work bag up, get back on the freeway, drive 25 minutes, pull in the garage, walk into the house to cries of we are starving and what are we having for dinner.  I fix dinner while making sure homework is done, I put dinner on the table and listen to moans and groans and complaints about what I fixed for dinner, I clean the kitchen, beat kids into the showers and then into bed. AND then I fix lunchboxes, the coffee pot, and collapse into my bed only to have it start all over again 7 hours later.

How did this become my life?  I would love to do something different for just one week.  Something crazy and out of the ordinary for me.  I would love a week without a schedule, without having to cook, clean, take care of kids and a house.  But I also have to wonder what would I do?  Would I be clueless as to how to function without this routine?  Would I discover that I loved living the life of Riley and stage a revolt fighting the return to that old life? Or would I scurry back to it with my tail tucked between my legs longing to feel that security again?

I would like to think that I would enjoy myself for that glorious week of no responsibility and schedules.  And then when it was time to return to my hell, I would like to imagine that I would embrace the routine with open rested arms and a smile on my face.  But somehow I doubt that would happen.  And to quote Dori the Fish from Finding Nemo, "Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming." and one day my week will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment