Monday, March 12, 2012

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Where does the fun ever end one might ask or wonder.  This weekend was a prime example of how I went from feeling great to being at the end of my rope.

Last weekend the part of the state where I grew up was devastated by tornadoes.  This path of destruction goes on for 90 miles and that in itself is hard to fathom. But couple that with the fact that this is the eastern part of the state that already struggles financially and you have a major disaster. 

So because this is the part of the country that I grew up in and because I still have roots there, I decided to gather and collect donations of goods to deliver to a surviving local church.  The drive was more successful than I could have ever imagined and we ended up with two truckloads thanks to my friends and co workers.

We reached our destination and the state of the area was unbearable and my heart went out to these people that have lost homes and businesses.  We delivered our goods and headed back home with heavy hearts but feeling good that we could somehow contribute to the situation.

So a week of hard work, six hours in a truck, and an hour or so of unloading we get back to town.  And that is when it all went down hill for me.

First I return the borrowed truck to a friend and after some thank you's and good bye's we ended up in a major fight that by the way, had nothing to do with the truck or trip but personal issues.  This puts me in a foul, why are men such jerks, kind of mood. 

Then I rush to pick my son up from a birthday party and by this time it is 8:00 PM and my daughter and I are starving.  We decided that we would hit a local Jason's Deli and graze the salad bar and relax.  All good right??

Well we complete our R and R and meal, walk out of the door to our car and my son gasps and yells, "What happened to your car Mom?"  I look and much to my dismay I discover that some, unknown to this day, person has taken out the side of my car in the parking lot and ran off leaving no note with contact info, or an I'm sorry, or even a kiss my ass.  Now because my daughter totalled her car out as well as taking out another car, I feel that I can't report this to my auto insurance.

I know you are thinking seriously.....how can all of this happen to one person on one weekend?  But this isn't all, both of my kids get sick and I have to take them both to doctors and I have to miss a day of work to take care of all of this.

Finally after all of this happening in a 24 hour window, I did the only sane thing that I could do.  I sat in my car alone in my garage and cried my eyes out.

Can I just say that life as a single working parent is not roses.  Even on a good day........

In tomorrow's blog we will address narcissism and what it looks like to the outside world in case you either don't know or think it is one of your endearing qualities.

No comments:

Post a Comment